05 Aug Upskilling…Teaching Skills: Train to Become the Language Teacher Who Can Coach Her/His Students into Leaders
Author: Ilinca Stroe
Coaching is usually associated with top Executives and laborious, high-priced individual sessions leading to the achievement of specific management objectives. Nothing to do with language teaching.
And yet. What if you, the language teacher, had the power and ability to coach your students into leaders in the language class? What if you were competent to instil high-demand 21st-century skills into your students while teaching them English or another language? What if you were capable of transforming them into highly employable, future-fit front-runners in tomorrow’s world at the same time as you work on their linguistic ability?
That would be quite an original perspective, wouldn’t it? Well, Palmina La Rosa, a popular international Teacher Trainer with 25 years’ experience, the founder of IH Giga Catania and a qualified Coach accredited by the International Coaching Federation, embraced that original angle. And she turned it into an effective training programme in 2021, when she set up Coaching Training & Development.
Palmina’s approach and initiative resulted in a very specific teacher training course which is going to be available to any language teacher in the world starting this autumn. “Coaching techniques for language teachers to enhance teenagers’ 21st-century competencies” will run online from 12 October to 30 November 2022, and here are its main features:
- Main objective – to equip the trainees with basic coaching techniques that will help improve their students’ 21st-century skills (teambuilding, problem solving, critical thinking, communication, creative thinking, negotiation and leadership)
- Quality standards – the course is moderated by the International House World Organisation Assessment Unit
- Content & workload – 1 preparatory module and 7 competency-focused modules, plus individual study and an end-of-course task, totalling 50 hours (16 for synchronous training sessions and 34 for individual study)
- Eligibility – all language teachers are welcome if they hold an initial teaching qualification, have at least 2 years’ teaching experience (preferably with teenagers) and a level of English proficiency of minimum B2/CEFR
Access complete information about the course, including the course syllabus HERE.
Why would you attend Palmina’s training programme? Here are just four main benefits:
- you keep growing professionally by adding an original, forward-looking specialisation to your profile
- you acquire precious coaching skills (even if you do not become a qualified coach per se), which are rare in language teachers
- you become competent to conduct your students’ personal development through language teaching
- you become an even more valuable teacher for your students, as in your classes they will be able to acquire and practise 21st-century skills
Interested? Learn also that, money-wise, there’s a special offer in place for this course: if you enrol by 15 August, you get 30% off the standard fee (i.e. instead of €670, you pay only €469). Interested now? 😊 To sign up, please get in touch with us as soon as you can: firstname.lastname@example.org / +40 751 130 096.
International House Bucharest runs regular CELTA, DELTA and IHCYLT courses for teachers of English at its Teacher Training Centre, as well as training events online, onsite or at partner locations. To sign up for a course or event, contact email@example.com.